D-10000 OTL/OCL DAC
The D-10000 OTL/OCL (Output transformer-less / Output capacitor-less): a unique, world-class, reference level DAC. Unbelievably realistic, holographic sound-staging combined with incredible resolution, clarity, micro and macro-dynamics, and drive – like analog! Instrument and vocal tones and timbres are breathtakingly lifelike, the placement of instruments and bodies in three dimensions startling, life-size, and addictive. The D-10000 OTL/OCL is unique – and truly a masterpiece.
Read the RAVE hi-fi+ review: “…one of the best DACs in the world”!
The D-10000 OTL/OCL (Output Transformer-Less/Output Capacitor-Less) DAC has a pure triple gain stage analog signal path. It uses the 6C19P low internal resistance tube to pass the analog signal directly to line-stage or integrated amplifiers.
In common circuits, output capacitors or output transformers are required to separate the AC music signal from the DC operating potential. If this is not done, the latter will destroy the power amplifier, the loudspeakers, or both. However, these two coupling devices also introduce their own influences on the transmission of the musical signal, adding their own character (colouration), increasing distortion, and consuming small signals, all as predicted by physical efficiency theory. In addition, they also limit signal dynamics. For these reasons, the elimination of output transformers and capacitors has been considered the best solution for the design of the most accurate amplifiers. Removal of these two coupling devices from the signal path achieves the best results possible:
• No colouration of the musical signal
• Extremely detailed expression, natural harmonics and subtle musical decay
• The lowest possible distortion
• The widest musical dynamics and frequency range
In the D-10000, there is no coupling device between the DAC and the preamplifier; that is, the final gain/output tubes are directly connected to the preamplifier. Thus, the benefits listed above are fully present in the Allnic D-10000 OTL/OCL DAC.
With a digital section designed by Dr. C. Shin, principal of WAVERSA SYSTEMS and an expert in high-resolution digital and digital to analog design for both military and commercial applications, the D-10000 OTL/OCL DAC is unique in the marketplace. Except for the DAC chip it employs (For D to A conversion only – not for signal processing, which is accomplished by proprietary FPGA), the ES9018K2M SABRE 32 Reference DAC (“Sabre DAC”), none of the D-10000 OTL/OCL DAC’s digital components are sourced from the audio supply market. In addition, the USB interface and SPDIF receiver are specifically customized for use in the D-10000 OTL/OCL, and custom-built high end up-samplers are utilized for user selectable “real-time” DSD conversion and PCM up-sampling.
The D-10000 OTL/OCL offers the listener the flexibility to select listening directly to:
- the source drive’s audio signal at its native sampling rate, or down-sampled if that signal is above the limits of the D-10000 OTL/OCL’s digital inputs, 384 KHz (so long as the source is of sufficiently high quality);
- a PCM signal from the source drive converted to DSD 128 in “real time”; or
- a PCM signal up-sampled from the source drive’s native rate by a custom up-sampling chip.
The USB input accommodates:
• DSD 64, DSD 128
• PCM 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz, 176.4 KHz, 192 KHz, 352.8 and 384 KHz.
The other digital inputs and the customized S/PDIF receiver accommodate rates up to 192 KHz (so long as the source is of sufficiently high quality).
DSD Playback and “CONV” (Conversion to DSD)
The front panel button labelled “CONV” and the remote control switch are used to implement “real-time” conversion to DSD of any PCM input signal.
In the case of playback of a native DSD signal from the source, the D-10000 OTL/OCL employs DSD over PCM (“DOP”).
PCM Playback and UPSAMPLE
The D-10000 OTL/OCL DAC can upsample PCM to 88/96, 176/192, and 352/384 sample rates, using the selector switch on the front panel or the remote control.
• One (1) X optical (“Toslink”) digital
• One (1) X USB
• One (1) X AES/EBU digital (XLR)
• Two (2) X coaxial digital (RCA)
• One (1) pair X unbalanced (RCA)
• One (1) pair X balanced (XLR)
Output Frequency Range:
• 20Hz – 20KHz flat
Output RMS Voltage:
• 2.5 volts
• 50 Ω (Constant)
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD):
• Less than 0.1%
Signal to Noise (S/N) Ratio:
• – 86db (CCIR, 1KHz)
• 70W at 230 V / 110/120 V / 50 / 60 Hz
• AC 3A, 250V for 110/120 volt regions
• AC 2A, 250V for 230/240 volt regions
• 430mm (16.93 inches) x 320mm (12.5 inches) x 170mm (6.7 inches) (W x D x H)
• 13.06 Kg (28 lbs.) unpacked
• 17 Kg (37.4 lbs.) in original packing